Monday, October 6, 2008

Got Pole?




The art of Pole dance you say? The first thing that comes to people's minds is the questionable, old fashioned use of the pole- stripping. Well now is time to get rid of the old stigma of the pole and turn it into something all can enjoy- exercises! NOW in gyms you will find pole exercise classes that have nothing to do with the degrading of women or strip clubs. In fact there is a class offered in sugar house where there are classes of MEN only. Speaking of men, a guy in my neighborhood who is a fireman did great on the pole, so did his wife!! It is a great work out and can help strengthening the body. Why do I bring this up you ask? Because for the fun of it I was watching Oprah one day where Sheila Kelley was on talking about the new face of pole dancing. She wanted to start a place where women could come to classes and enjoy the benefits of this new art. No men are allowed. In her sense what is the difference from a gymnastic pole from what she is using? The only difference is the angle it is located. I would much rather work out by spinning instead of lifting weights. I always feel like I have to explain myself because so many people out there judge without even understanding first. I have had some harsh discussions from people I love and now I feel like I am some sinner, yet I have done nothing like it. I am against strip clubs and the degrading of women, I find it sick and hurtful on society around us. However I find nothing wrong with wanting to be fit, and having clean fun while doing it. When I was younger I loved doing flips outside, and swinging upside down on the monkey bars, I never knew I would still be able to do it after I had kids!! Ok now that I have that off my chest...

This past Friday I had some girls from my neighborhood come over to watch a Halloween movie, The Changeling!! It was so fun! Everyone brought some treats and we all sat in the basement and watched it. One of my favorite parts was when Holly said "Oh No this isn't the wheel chair movie is it?" I guess she had seen some clips in college. I wish I had a camera of cute Shelley covering her eyes during the scary parts, and a recorder of Becky talking through out the whole thing so she wouldn't be scared LOL jk. (Thanks Cindy for letting me use all the decorations!) After the movie we had to do something to get the jitters out so the girls could all walk home brave, so we pulled out the pole. It was fun laughing trying to get up on it. My arms are killing me because I am so out of shape. It really works out your arms. Some people can make it look so elegant and easy, but it is very hard work:

Check out this video, to me it looks like something you would see in the gymnastic part of the Olympics. (Photographer is annoying but other then that I see nothing wrong with it.)



What a Pole Monkey!



NEXT thing I want to learn is Aerial Silks, you know the cool thing where people wrap themselves in ribbon and do gymnastics in the air? Kind of like this:

8 comments:

Holly said...

Jamie you are so cute and I never once judged for having a pole. I hope you know that. I had so much fun Friday night!

Jamie said...

haha Good, I did too and would love to have you over agian anytime! Now if someone has some silk ribbons we can start trying the aerial silk dance - flying in the sky!.. you first.

Lyndee W. said...

Awww, honey! I'm sorry that you've been judged...I hope I didn't come across that way. I think pole-dancing is totally cool! And I agree with the ribbons...I want to learn too! Isn't it beautiful?

Jamie said...

Not at all Lyndee, you have been very accepting and I am so glad I have gotten to know you better!! Your personality just clicks with mine, same with all the other girls! I have lived here for almost two years and now just getting to meet people, pretty pathetic but better now then never!!! We really do have an awesome neighborhood!! I hope you start feeling better, if you need anything let me know ok!? Do you need dinner sometime this week?!

Gavin and Becki said...

Shut up I was not scared! :) You are so awesome I have really enjoyed getting to know you. You are such a blast and besides Sara loves the pole. One day I will gain the courage to try it. I am to afraid of embarssing myself. Maybe Lyndey and I can have a make up day.

Ashley and Devan said...

So I've heard that pole dancing is a great workout. I think it looks fun. If you lived closer I'd seriously come to your house and make you teach me.

Jamie said...

hahah

Jamie said...

Ash you would do great!! Maybe after the baby you should make a trip down to utah county!