Sunday, June 14, 2009

I had to laugh at my sister Kelli's post. I hope you don't mind that I copied and pasted it on here. You took the words right out of my mouth. So many people have the "flu" they don't even know it. SO in her words:






"Kermit the frog also has the swine flu, I wonder who gave it to him?

Hopefully the headline of this post didn't cause mass paranoia like the news media's headlines did a few months ago.
My 4 brothers, sister, nephew, and father have all been sick with what they thought was a head cold, although my youngest brother seemed to be a little sicker than that and was confirmed to have Influenza A. So, as our luck would have it, Brinley woke up at four a.m. with a fever and an ear ache. While, I am not one to get into a frenzy when my children are sick and take them to the dr at the first complaint of an illness, I hate ear infections. I took her to the Dr. No ear infection, but she does have, Influenza A, and it is most probable that it is the swine flu. Now, don't panic, she isn't even really that sick, and I would have never even taken her to the doctor except for the ear ache. The doctor actually said that people are getting over the swine flu faster than the regular flu.
Here is the kicker, the health department and dr's offices are not even running the swine flu test anymore, because it is to expensive, they are just treating influenza A like they always have, with motrin and rest and if you can find it at any pharmacy the tamiflu. (Good luck finding any. I went to five pharmacies, and finally found one that had only a half a bottle. Seems like all of Utah has the flu right now)
Funny, how the media can cause such mass hysteria and cause people to fear when in reality most people don't need to fear this anymore than they do the regular old flu or common cold. (As a nurse I am not naive enough to think that this can't be serious, but for most healthy people it is just a little illness that they will fully recover from) Brinley is going to survive, she is just going to be a little more whiny and miserable for a few days. So, I am happy to say even though we may have contracted this so called pandemic, we are all going to live, even if the news outlets want me to believe otherwise.
Because it has been said by some, "Never waste a great Crisis" One must take note that I almost wanted to report this illness to the Bishop so we could cancel church, just because a Sunday off sounds oh so nice. I will probably will be punished for that statement by contracting the darn swine flu myself, right when all of northern Utah is out of tamiflu. So, that being said, I retract my last statement! " Kelli

1 comment:

Ashley and Devan said...

I don't think I realized that your sister has a Brinley too. The doc I work for said that you want to catch the swine flu because it will help you survive the bird flu if you catch that. So maybe we should all spend some time with your niece.