Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dearest Darling...


I decided that with all the WWII letters of Trent's uncle, I am going to try and translate them and type them up. I say translate because the letters are so hard to read. I found that there are some from his wife to him and visa versa. I will post a letter on my blog so you can enjoy them as well. reminds me of the notebook! Here is an example of one letter. Both of them write like this.
First Letter (No in Order)

Location: Somewhere in England
Date: Jan. 27th 1945

"Dearest Darling:
Just a few lines to let you know that I am still o.k. I have a sluggish cold but it is not bothering me very much. How are you these days? Fine I hope.
Darling I received a package from you yesterday. I do not see how it ever got here. It was wide open. There was not a sign of string on it. I do not know if anything was lost out of the package or not. IT sustained a handful of candy, a bushel full of pecans, and advocate, 2 packages of tooth past and two tubes of shaving cream. Was there anything else that you sent me in the package? I have hopes of receiving another package now. I know I have one on the way from Aunt Ferna and two from James.
Have you been receiving any mail from me lately? I received a letter from you about some every 6 days. I wrote James and Henry yesterday
Honey I told you last week about me making me a chest of drawers to keep my clothes in. Last night I worked until 12:30 making one for Srgt. Wire, another Texan who sleeps next to me.
How is the weather at home? Here it is still white and plenty cold. I certainly will be glad when this month and the next passes.
Well darling I must close this time as it is time to go to work. Take care of your self.

With Lots of love and kisses
Your husband"
Frank Hathaway

(this is not of them)

3 comments:

Lyndee W. said...

That is so sweet! Why did we ever stop calling each other darling? I love that term of endearment...so sweet!

Eric and Jenny said...

Sweet, there is something so romantic about written letters, sent in the mail like that. SOmetimes I wish we could go back to those days.....everything just seems easier and calmer you know.

Adria said...

wow, that's awesome! I love history. That's so cool.