Tuesday, December 9, 2008


For Christmas ( I figure I would tell people so if they wanted to do the same idea they still have time) I am giving someone in my family *hopefully they don't read this blog too often* "The Miracle of the Wooden Shoes." First off my family has ancestors from Holland and when we were little our grandparents brought us each a pair of our own wooden shoes from their mission when they served over there. This book is a really cool book that explains the traditions of Christmas in Germany and this one boy's Christmas that changed his life forever. His father is sick and they didn't have enough money for "St. Nickolas" where they would put their wooden shoes out and in the morning things would be inside. Well to his surprise he wakes up with a letter rolled in red ribbon and candles. The letter has a scripture on it how Christ is the light of the world. So for my present the first day I am going to give her or him *can't tell* a candle with the scripture on it. The second day the boy comes out to find a wood pile for fire with the scripture how his word is like a burning fire. (give the person matches ) The third day it talks about how Christ is the bread of life. You then give the person a loaf of bread or rolls. Fourth day it talks about feasting on the word of Christ. You give the person chocolate with the book. I wish the books were cheaper because it would be such a fun idea to do for neighbors! I ran into a woman at the book store who told me her ward did this as their Christmas party! What a great idea! I think I will even do it for my kids.

4 comments:

kelli said...

I got this book for Ethan. From Santa on Christmas eve, my kids always get a Christmas book and p.j.'s and this is the book I chose for Ethan this year.

Lyndee W. said...

What a cute idea, Jamie! Miss you already! I may come over later.

Tiff and Chris said...

What a neat book. What a great idea.

Eric and Jenny said...

That is a great idea! So funny because yesterday I just read this book for the first time while I was Christmas shopping, I loved it so much I bought me a copy. It has such a sweet message.