Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Thankful...



I remember back when I was an 8 year old girl, waiting for her dad to come home from Desert Storm to baptise her. Although my dad was gone only 6 months (I think) it had an impact on me. By seeing his example of serving his country, it gave me a love for history, patriotism, which in return gave me a love for my country. I received a scholarship based on my answers of my patriotism. I remember putting the yellow ribbons around the tree the day we were going to pick him up from the airport. I remember being in a crowded airport with my family and some extended family. The soldiers came off the plane and my sister Kelli went in the front to find him. I remember seeing her come back with my dad. I think that was the second time I saw him cry. (First time was him leaving.) I have seen him tear up times after, and love how I can feel his love when I see that. Anyways, I remember seeing my aunt hug him, and seeing my mom and dad embrace. My mom had a long time being a single mom, waiting for his calls during the middle of the night with five kids. His absence affected me, but I loved him more for it. Every night he would sing the song "Around her hair she wore a yellow ribbon" to us. Fast Forward 19 years later.... Although my husband's life wasn't in any danger, and he could come home on the weekends, I see in my almost 8 year old daughter's eyes the light of relief as I told her today that Dad was coming home for good. For an instant I saw myself. I don't know how my mom did it. She made us feel safe and I knew I would see my dad again. He was able to baptise me when he got home and I am glad I waited for him. I am thankful for Father's and all they do to provide and protect the ones they love.

1 comment:

Lyndee W. said...

Wait!!! He's not going to work out of state anymore?