Monday, May 24, 2010


Alright, I am loving studying Esther. My husband and I were talking about King Xerxes, which is the Hebrew name for the king Esther married. In the King James version of the bible they don't use the Hebrew name, so you have to find out what his name is in Hebrew. Well anyways, Trent and I were talking and I told him about King Xerxes, he said "Hey the kings name in 300 is King Xerxes" I asked him if it was The Greek war against Persia. Well, we looked online, and thanks to my Bible Study I am doing I already knew King Xerxes I parents where Darius and Atossa, and his Grandfather was Cyrus who let the exiles free from bondage to go re-build the temple. (Yes the temple I was telling you about in the other post "Solomon's Temple" ) Well come to find out The King Xerxes in 300, WAS Indeed the same King.(They portrayed him really weird in 300 lol) I found his lineage, and his parents name. I found out that it was during around 483 B.C which was the king's third year of reign and the book of Esther starts out when Xerxes is having his party to gain Greece. Now in 300, Spartans came to help Greece, and kicked Xerxes butt. I also found out that Xerxes was murdered ( I swear it was in his sleep if I remember correctly but couldn't find it) Anyways it's amazing the things you learn, not just from reading the bible, but looking between the lines. Finding out what the Hebrew names are, meaning of them, and looking at historical writings. For instance, a man from Greece wrote about King Xerxes in his time, and through this we find a lot of information. I know a lot of people are worried that I do these bible studies, what they don't realize though is it's not just the bible we learn, infact it has nothing to do with what their church believes, its the history behind the story. You know me, I love history and have been online *thanks Wikipedia, Lds. Org, and others) for hours! The weird thing is however, if you look it up online Esther isn't mentioned in King Xerxes profile. Which if they want separation from religion, Esther is the only book in the Old Testament and Torah that does not mention the word "God" or anything like it. This is one story you look between the lines of symbolism. Love it! It is the same guy though... Awesome.

No comments: